Marriage Certificate (Gender Identity)

P.A. 102-0171

Upon completion of an affidavit provided by the county clerk, allows a person to change or remove gender identifying language on a marriage certificate. The person may request a change from terms such as "bride" and "groom" to a nongendered term such as "spouse" or a variant. When a clerk issues a nongendered marriage certificate, the certificate shall not include any language indicating it has been amended nor that it is not a true and accurate record of the facts stated therein.